Sunday, May 10, 2009

My 2 cents about Shapes

as far as Shapes go:

DIAMOND SHAPES!

I am eagerly waiting on one perfect little diamond, but I honestly have no idea when its coming. It could be tomorrow, it could be months from now...agghhhh the wait is torture! But incredibly exciting at the same time--Guys who think there is no surprise when girlfriends pick out their ring are WRONG.

In the meantime, I have nothing but diamonds on the mind, and here's what I think about various Diamond Shapes:


Round: Classic, Eternal, and for me everything the symbol of marriage should be--repeating the endless circle of the ring itself. My mother and grandmothers wore this shape and that is what draws me to it. This is also what many women do not like, the Round may seem too common or too traditional. There will always be a far greater selection of Round cut diamonds as well as settings designed for them, which can be kinder on the budget.



Oval: Stunning sister to the Round, the Oval is very elegant. Elongates the finger, and is often suggested for a petite hand; I find it most flattering on delicate, slender fingers. A feminine and creative alternative to the Round cut.


Radiant: Square or rectangular Radiant shaped diamonds were around before the Princess cut, but have been replaced in popularity as of late. The Radiant actually has more facets than the Princess but has trimmed edges like that of the Emerald shape. Due to its 70 luminous facets, the Radiant is incredibly brilliant as its name implies, but requires greater weight in the diamond's depth to maximize the radiance.


Princess: A glamorous diamond, usually square (depending on size can be more rectangular) with pointed corners. I find a lot of girls are enamored with the name and popularity of the Princess cut, but it IS the most popular non-round shape. Famous for good reason, it is both fiery and gorgeous--the Princess makes a beautiful solitaire setting. Like the Radiant, the depth percentage is greater, often as high as 78%.


Marquise: A traditional and regal shape with delicate tapered points at both ends. The Marquise is not my favorite shape, but King Louis XIV commissioned this diamond to resemble the smile of his mistress--the Marquise de Pompadour--so what do I know? The length-to-width ratio is important to be aware of, with a 2:1 ratio the usual preference. I have seen several rings recently with the Marquise set horizontally, which I think is lovely--both Art Deco and contemporary.



Asscher: This old-world diamond was created by the Dutch Asscher family and has an air of traditional opulence. The Asscher has step-cut facets and clipped corners that give its square-ish shape an octagonal look. Although similar to the Emerald, the Asscher has more fire than the Emerald because of its high crown and small table.


Emerald: The Emerald cut is strong and dramatic with long, broad lines. Originally developed for emeralds (obvious, I know...), the unique stepped cuts were made to compensate for the numerous inclusions in emeralds. In a diamond, however, the effect is impressive. Due to the openness of the Emerald cut, quality of the diamond is crucial, and the highest grade you can afford is best. I am of the opinion that the Emerald usually needs a clean, simple setting.


Pear: This radiant-cut stone is also known as a teardrop, but usually features the tapered point upward on an engagement ring. A perfect shape for a large variety of jewelry (especially in earrings), the Pear is fairly unique as an engagement setting.


Heart: I have seen the Heart shaped diamond referred to as the "ultimate expression of love," but for me it is more of a novelty--not at all what I think is fitting for an engagement ring. Then again, this Neil Lane 8-carat stunner might make me reconsider...


There are many other diamond shapes and innovative designers continue to add a new spin on classic cuts---Diamond shapes will always come down to personal preference, but honestly, as long as the Color, Clarity, and Cut are of quality--its pretty impossible for any diamond to look bad. They can be a girl's best friend afterall :)

4 comments:

Kristin @ The Southern Summer said...

Wow, you know a crap load more about diamonds than I do. Thanks for the lesson though, seriously! Now I can know what you're talking about when you tell me which one you get :)

As for me personally, I agree that the heart is not ideal (mom had one in 2nd marriage, i thought it was ugg). I think I would prefer any of the square shaped ones. I like radiant the best but would depend on the setting!

mn125 said...

and you know a crap load more about green smoothies (ummm, my new addiction)...and yes, I can totally see you with a radiant! I'll help with the setting to if you ever want help-- i would have never guessed your mom had a heart shape!

the unveiling of my ring is gonna be fun...SOMEDAY.

rachaelgking said...

The radiant is SCREAMING my name... just sayin'.

mn125 said...

i'll holla at B for ya! and you and KBo will match!!

Post a Comment