Wednesday, June 10, 2009

36 years and going strong

Yesterday was my Mom and Dad's 36th wedding anniversary. 36 years together and they still couldn't imagine life without the other - (although sometimes Daddy swears he would be just fine without my brother and I!)

They fell in love their freshman year in college. So the story goes, my Dad had a crush on my mom AND some other girl, forever known in our family as "The Tuba Player." After their freshman year, Daddy went home to Chapel Hill and my mom spent the summer with her family in Gloucester, Mass. They wrote each other over the summer (as in they wrote LETTERS--how cute is that??) and promised to meet back up in the fall. The fall of their sophomore year, my Dad got back to school and decided to check out both my Mom and THE TUBA PLAYER! Well, the Tuba Player had gained 20lbs over the summer so my pretty and still slender Momma won out. Mom tells us she always knew there was no contest.

The rest is history!


I think my Pops looks especially dashing in his bow tie! My mom made her wedding gown--even staying up late to finish it the night before, and as far as "budget" goes---Mom says: "Budget?!? Our budget was ZERO!!" But they were happy and in love!

They married on June 9, 1973 in Chapel Hill, NC. I had always planned to marry at the same church someday, and sadly, it was recently torn down. I was heartbroken! We had toyed with the idea of a destination wedding before, but once we realized that we can't marry in the church I always dreamed of -- We will *settle* on a wedding in paradise instead (some compromise, eh?).

3 comments:

Kristin @ The Southern Summer said...

Aww love the pic :) They look soooo young!

Yeah, personally, I am glad you chose a destination wedding ;)

rachaelgking said...

I'm with Kristin... not that I don't love a chance to get to the Thrill, but a tropical island in Februaryish just sounds SOOOOO amazing! I can't wait!

mn125 said...

APRIL! :) but yes I agree!

Post a Comment