Sunday, June 28, 2009

Play Nice and Be Polite

Ok, ok, so I realize my engagement isn't official-OFFICIAL yet, as in I don't have a ring on my finger yet. But I don't need my ring (yet) to know I will spend the rest of my wonderful life with the most perfect man on the planet -- most perfect for me, that is. And that is all I need to know. We've made plans and we're on the same page. The ring is a beautiful symbol...but it's just a stand-in for the real thing (that thing we have, called Love). I realized I had begun to undermine what we know in our hearts "until I get my ring." I also know I wouldn't have him any other way than just the way he is. Practical. Pragmatic. Frugal. Calcuated and Reasonable --- everything I'm not!! Which is why he can take his sweet time and surprise me. Everyone else will just have to realize that the ring is merely a small detail of the whole process of getting married. In the meantime, I'll be wedding blogging and DIY-ing. Thankyouverymuch.

And that brings me to my main point of this soapbox post: Polite Courtesy. Or better yet, Genuine Appreciation. The Thank You card. A grueling task for any newlywed, new parent or new graduate. But it really shouldn't be a task should it? The thank you card should be the least we can do for the generosity someone has given us. I read a great post today by
Offbeat Bride in which she words it well:

Yes, it's courteous. Yes, it's a way of showing how much you truly appreciate people's generosity. We all know these things and honestly, they should be enough to motivate each of us to carve out a couple nights to sit down with the new spouse and get to work on some cards.

Then there's the issue of what constitutes a "gift." Did your 15-year-old cousin help you with your iPod playlist? That's a gift. Send 'em a card. Did your college friend give you a blender, but then also spend half the reception tending after your vomiting drunk uncle? Send 'em a card, and acknowledge BOTH gifts. Did your coworker who wasn't invited to your family-only destination wedding help you surreptitiously print out programs on the office printer? Send 'em a card. When in doubt, anyone made your wedding planning easier or smiled at you when you were freaking out? Send 'em a card.





Can I just say that I went to a wedding 4 months ago for a friend I hadn't seen in almost 10 years, traveled pretty far, and spent way more money than I had at the time on a gift, AND made a great effort to close the gap (of 10 years!) at a bachlorette....AND... I never got a thank you card? It's not that big a deal; I'm sure she appreciated the gesture and I bet she is very busy. At the same time, it just doesn't seem quite polite.

My goal: to make thank you cards less of a chore and more of a pleasant way to notate the nice things people do for you.


I think the cutesy whimsy of Red Cap Cards should help motivate just about any reluctant thank you card writer!

2 comments:

rachaelgking said...

Those are the cutest things I've ever seen! They would DEFINITELY inspire my lazy butt :-)

And recently, my own pet peeve... people coming to stay with you, and not so much as saying thanks... no bottle of wine, no "let me get dinner" one night, no NOTHING... WTF??? We are adults, no?

Kristin @ The Southern Summer said...

I buy thank you cards a lot and NEVER USE THEM! I think I just buy them because of their cute factor.

Post a Comment